2020 Lenten Snapshots
During the 2020 Lenten season, we’ll share the work of the Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur from around the world. We hope you in turn will share their work with your family, friends, students and faculty. If you are interested in the Lenten Handout, please click here. Click here for the Lenten prayer card.
LENTEN SNAPSHOT #1
What is the Purpose of the Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur's Clean Water for Life Project?
Like our founding Sisters, we go where the need is greatest — to the remote villages in Africa where good people are marginalized by poverty and injustice. Our Sisters live, teach and minister in areas where electricity is a scarce commodity and clean drinking water is non-existent. People can live without electricity, but life without clean water is impossible.
- Water-borne illness and other diseases devastate populations and impacts poor families in remote villages — where our Sisters live and teach — the most.
- 785 million people around the world lack of safe drinking water. Each year, waterborne diseases afflict hundreds of millions of people.
- Over 485,000 under five die every year from preventable diarrheal diseases due to poor sanitation, poor hygiene, or unsafe drinking water. Children across the world miss 443 million days of school each year fetching water and fighting illness.
Meeting the Needs
- Providing a safe and efficient supply of clean water means children spend less time tending to survival tasks and more time dedicated to studies and brighter futures.
- Your support will help the Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur in Africa provide life-changing clean water. The Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur are using the following solutions to meet the critical need for clean water:
- Photovoltaic Systems, including equipment to purify and distribute water.
- Bore Holes and pumps powered by the photovoltaic system
- P&G Water Purification Packets for immediate needs such as an outbreak
During this Lenten season, we are most grateful for your support in helping our Sisters educate for life as well as provide clean water, especially for the people of Africa.
Making known God’s goodness with you,
Sister Marie Smith, SNDdeN
Clean Water for Life Volunteer