Grade K Lesson Plan
Subject: Social Studies (may have a good connection to Women’s History Month)
Topic: Historical Thinking and Skills
Content Standard: Personal history can be shared through stories and pictures.
Objectives (“I Can” Statements): I can create a story booklet about my life, including pictures, sentences, and stories.
- Crayons/markers/colored pencils
- Paper for booklets
- Other art supplies (i.e. construction paper, glue, stickers, etc.)
- Booklet about a specific Sister of Notre Dame (optional)
- Teacher will choose one important Sister in history that has shaped the Sisters of Notre Dame and their mission.
- Teacher will show the students pictures of her and share stories about her life (Optional: Teacher can have a small booklet created about this particular Sister that depict special events in her life, stories, and pictures – the teacher may also want to share a small book about herself as another example for the children).
- Students will use magazines, coloring utensils, construction paper, and other art supplies to create a similar booklet about themselves. They can cut out pictures from magazines, draw pictures, and write a few sentences about important events in their lives.
- Students will share their story (and booklet) with the class.
Teachers can take the booklet as a completion grade. Since the students are only in Kindergarten, teachers may want to also grade based on neatness, effort, and a sentence used and written correctly.