Grade 3 Lesson Plan
Subject: Social Studies
Content Standard: Primary sources, such as artifacts, maps and photographs, can be used to show change over time.
Objectives (“I Can” Statements): I can evaluate maps, photographs, and other artifacts to portray how the Sisters of Notre Dame have impacted the Catholic faith in America. I can create a class book portraying the impact of the Sisters of Notre Dame.
- Pictures, maps, and other artifacts from SND history
- 3 baskets or bins
- Graphic organizer
- Paper to create the class book
- Crayons/markers/colored pencils
- Other art supplies: glue, construction paper, magazines, etc.
- The teacher will have 3 bins or baskets that contain maps, photographs, and other artifacts from the Sisters of Notre Dame in the 1800s, 1900s, and 2000s
- As a class, the teacher will discuss with the students the contents and show how the Sisters have shaped our faith over the years and what it is like today because of their impact (Optional: teacher may have students come up and pull things out of the basket while she describes them)
- On a graphic organizer, students will write a few facts about each century to show how the Sisters have shaped our faith
- Then, the teacher will assign each student to portray a different section of the Sisters’ history (i.e. a prominent Sister bio, how schools have changed, etc.)
- Each student will write a few sentences about their topic and create a book page with pictures, maps, etc.
- Together, students will put the book together in chronological order to show the impact of the Sisters on our faith from the 1800s through present day.
- Optional: Students can share the book with the school, through the school library, class presentation, etc.
Teachers may choose to take the book page as a grade by using a rubric that includes: neatness, correct sentence and grammar usage, content, creativity, etc. Depending on how long the students have been discussing this topic in history, the teacher may just want to take the book page as a completion or effort grade.