175TH ANNIVERSARY CINCINNATI - Mass & Reception

Description


Sisters Notre Dame de Namur will mark the congregation's 175th year of service in this country on October 31. Events are being held across the country to commemorate this important milestone. In Cincinnati, a special Mass and reception will take place at St. Xavier Church on October 25 in observance of the anniversary.

EVENT DETAILS:

Eucharistic Liturgy
Sunday, October 25, 2015 at 1:30 pm
St. Xavier Church
607 Sycamore Street, Cincinnati, OH 45202

Reception & Presentation
Immediately following in church undercroft

Reservations are required by October 17, 2015 due to space constraints. To make a reservation or for more information, please contact Meg Sharp at 513-679-8109, email at [email protected] or click on the register button below.

Register

The first group of eight Sisters of Notre Dame de Namur came to this country in 1840 from Belgium, at the invitation of Cincinnati's Bishop John Purcell. He wanted the Sisters' help to build a strong Catholic school system in his young diocese and across the country.  Within a couple of years, the Ohio Sisters had started 17 Notre Dame schools around Cincinnati, eight in Dayton, five in Columbus, and they were teaching in another dozen schools in the state. Their work soon spread to schools all along the eastern seaboard.

Schools the Sisters would eventually staff in the greater Cincinnati area include Sts. Peter and Paul Parish School in Reading, Our Lady of the Sacred Heart Parish School, St. James Parish School in Wyoming, St. Michael Parish School in Sharonville, Our Lord Christ the King Parish School (Cardinal Pacelli), St. Susanna Parish School in Mason, St. Richard of Chichester Parish School, St. Francis de Sales Parish School in Lebanon. The Sisters also opened The Summit Country Day School and Mount Notre Dame Academy in Reading, which is now Mount Notre Dame High School and continues to be owned and operated by the Sisters of Notre Dame.  In 1869, the Sisters also opened Notre Dame Academy in Hamilton, Ohio. They would eventually teach in a number of Hamilton schools including St. Joseph Parish School, St. Stephen Parish School, St. Veronica Parish School, St. Peter Parish School and Bishop Badin High School.